Upper GI endoscopy is a procedure that evaluates:
- The mucosa of esophagus,
- stomach and
- An Endoscope is introduced into the mouth after sedating the patient that helps to examine internal structures such as stomach, and esophagus.
- In case of any suspicion, a biopsy is suggested
- Endotherapy can be done for bleeding lesions.
Endoscopy is an extremely safe procedure that does not cause any complications.
It is usually done on outpatient basis and patient can be discharged in 2-3 hours.
Indications of UGI endoscopy
- Bleeding (red or coffee colored blood) from mouth
- Difficulty in swallowing food
- Upper abdominal pain
- Chronic diarrhea
Endoscopes for various therapeutic procedures:
- Banding of varices
- Endotherapy of ulcers
- Polyp removal
- Foreign body removal
- Dilatation of strictures
- APC application for GAVE/PHG/PGP
- Stenting of esophagus and duodenum