Cholangiocarcinoma is the most prevalent tumor of bile duct. Cholangiocarcinoma may affect the bile duct at different locations: liver hilum, intrahepatic biliary system, and lower CBD.
The most common type of cholangiocarcinoma is hilar type.
- Choledochal cyst
- Primary sclerosing cholangitis
- Biliary-enteric drainage procedures
- Clonorchis sinensis
- Weight loss
- Fever and abdominal pain
- USG/CT/MRCP demonstrates biliary system obstruction, and a mass around the CBD
- Biopsy options include FNA, ERCP-brushings, and spyglass
- Surgery is indicated for tumor resection
- Unresectable hilar cholangiocarcinoma undergoes treatment by chemo-radiotherapy and later liver transplantation
- ERCP and stenting is indicated for the management of advanced tumors for treating fever, jaundice and itching